Anyone who’s been living on the grapevine these past few years must have heard the rumours about the coming of the FELT reissues – well they’re here.
During the ‘80s Felt made ten albums and ten singles for the Cherry Red and Creation labels. This beautifully produced series examines the work of one of the greatest underground groups of modern times.
The first five albums will be released on 23rd February 2018. These vinyl records, unavailable for many years, have been remastered and revisited by Lawrence, and he has fashioned the ultimate definitive collections. They are available in a deluxe gatefold sleeve.
Crumbling The Antiseptic Beauty(Deluxe Remastered Gatefold Sleeve Vinyl LP)
Lawrence’s ambition was to release the best debut English album ever! Adrian Borland offered his services, then commitments with his band The Sound prevented this from happening. So Felt began a relationship with Swell Maps producer John A. Rivers. Recorded and mixed in six days the band got a taste of how bitter reality fares compared to the “mellow fruitfulness” of blind ambition.
1. EVERGREEN DAZED2. FORTUNE3. BIRDMEN
1. CATHEDRAL2. I WORSHIP THE SUN3. TEMPLEROY
The Splendour of Fear(Deluxe Remastered Gatefold Sleeve Vinyl LP)
Lawrence escapes the contours of a bland city and retreats into his mind. Felt had risen from the underworld searching for a new horizon but only managed to slip into a desolate obscurity! Dark black slabs of creosote guitar – vast swathes of epic interplay – casting futuristic Shadows – an idiosyncratic and unobtrusively brilliant band, the music Felt made on this album is unlike anything attempted before. This really is a template for an age yet to come. And it pays to know that Maurice Deebank now resides in a monastery in Birmingham!
1. RED INDIANS2. THE WORLD IS AS SOFT AS LACE3. THE OPTIMIST AND THE POET
1. MEXICAN BANDITS2. THE STAGNANT POOL3. A PREACHER IN NEW ENGLAND
The Strange Idols Pattern and Other Short Stories(Deluxe Remastered Gatefold Sleeve Vinyl LP)
Before the Stone Roses and after Be-Bop Deluxe and Plastic Ono Band, John Leckie worked with Felt. Booked into a metal/reggae studio in Birmingham’s industrial wasteland he sculpted a Michelangelo slice of new rock – exquisite and beautiful guitar odysseys – quite unlike anything the city had experienced before. Merging pop with a classical nuance Felt stood alone as the forerunners of a brand new style. And Gary Ainge was finally allowed to use his high-hat!
1. ROMAN LITTER2. SEMPITERNAL DARKNESS3. SPANISH HOUSE4. IMPRINT5. SUNLIGHT BATHED THE GOLDEN GLOW
1. VASCO DA GAMA2. CRUCIFIX HEAVEN3. DISMANTLED KING IS OFF THE THRONE4. CRYSTAL BALL5. WHIRLPOOL VISION OF SHAME
Ignite the Seven Cannons(Deluxe Remastered Gatefold Sleeve Vinyl LP)
Produced by Robin Guthrie of Cocteau Twins and featuring the skyscraping vocal of Elizabeth Fraser on the mighty Primitive Painters. Felt found themselves at the top of the independent charts. Unhappy with the overall sound though – it was as if some of Lawrence’s best songs were lost in an “ethereal swirl.” John A. Rivers has been given access to the original master tapes and six songs have been remixed. Also – side 2 has been focused, edited and “made symmetrical.” Finally these songs can be heard as intended by Felt. It has become at long last a cohesive whole.
1. THE DARKEST LIGHT WILL SHINE (REMIXED)2. THE DAY THE RAIN CAME DOWN (REMIXED)3. SCARLET SERVANTS (REMIXED)4. I DON’T KNOW WHICH WAY TO TURN (REMIXED)5. PRIMITIVE PAINTERS
1. TEXTILE RANCH2. BLACK SHIP IN THE HARBOUR (REMIXED)3. ELEGANCE IN D4. CASPIAN SEE (REMIXED)5. SOUTHERN STATE TAPESTRY
The Seventeenth Century(Deluxe Remastered Gatefold Sleeve Vinyl LP)
Previously named Let the Snakes Crinkle Their Heads to Death, this album is now retitled The Seventeenth Century – the original name for the album was changed late in the day. This reversal of misfortune was classed as an awful mistake and Lawrence’s biggest regret. Flash forward to now and this situation can finally be rectified. “You can’t change the title of an album” - they told him – so he said; “if Kraftwerk can and Bowie can then I can too!!”
1. SONG FOR WILLIAM S. HARVEY2. ANCIENT CITY WHERE I LIVED3. SEVENTEENTH CENTURY4. THE PALACE5. INDIAN SCRIPTURES
1. THE NAZCA PLAIN2. JEWEL SKY3. VIKING DRESS4. VOYAGE TO ILLUMINATION5. SAPPHIRE MANSIONS